Lately, we have been nothing but 'preparing for baby' business around here, so when I saw Becky's newest linkup for her '52 Weeks of Blogging With A Purpose',' today, I thought it may be the perfect topic to change our course. At least for the day.
Today's topic is '10 Things I Live For.' I feel like that could go so many places, but I will try and narrow it down to a somewhat cohesive list. What makes me tick, what are my top priorities? Read on to learn a little more about me.
1. Saturday mornings. These have become a favorite of mine over the last year or so. I have always loved my weekends, but our Saturday mornings are extra special to me. We wake up slowly (even if it's only 7AM), cuddle in bed together, feel Gavin kick and wiggle himself awake, spoil Riley with belly rubs, and then make our way downstairs for coffee and breakfast.
2. My morning Cup O' Joe. One of the first things I think about each morning is how excited I am to start my day with a fresh cup of homemade coffee. Completed with a few dashes of one of my favorite creamers, and a sprinkle of Truvia, and my morning is made. I drink my coffee slowly, and typically reheat it about six times per day. So, I'm toting my mug around until close to lunch time most days.
3. The iPhone Reminders App. OK, this one is sad, but we're being honest here, right? I keep pretty much every daily task, both work and personal, in the Reminders app on my phone. I would truly be lost without it. Checking the items off and seeing how productive my days have been is one of my favorite weekday things to do.
4. Weekends at the Beach. My in-laws recently finished building their dream beach house. Unfortunately, it is finally ready during the weeks leading up to Gavin's birth, so we won't get to spend as much time there as we had hoped, but once he's here and we are feeling like we are establishing some sort of routine, the trips are back on! Relaxing mornings, afternoons in the sun, happy hours and boat rides; I can hardly wait!
5. Catch-up Phone Calls with Girlfriends. Everyone is constantly busy, so I stay in touch with my close friends mainly through texting and social media. But, there are days when a phone call is overdue. Whether it is just a five minute chat, or there is so much to catch up on that it keeps us on the phone for an hour, calls like these are good for my soul. There is still something so important about real verbal communication to me.
6. A Hot Bowl of Mac N Cheese. Though mac n cheese has been a long time vice of mine, it is also one of the simple pleasures that I just won't get rid of. Fattening to the core, but it is a comfort food that warms my soul and I am not ashamed to admit it. B jokes that Gavin will either love or hate it, because Lord knows he's already gotten enough exposure to it these last nine months!
7. A DVR Full of Trashy TV. OK, this list is feeling a bit more like my 'favorite things,' but I think that's fair. I have admitted before that I watch a good amount of TV. I am that sucker of a person that they over advertise new shows for. I have at least tried out most of the shows on ABC, and I have been known to stock my DVR full of Lifetime movies. When I have a night at home to myself, or even a quiet afternoon while B is at work, I love to cuddle up on the couch for some uninterrupted TV time. It is definitely one of my favorite ways to relax.
8. The Unconditional Love of My Dog. I have been a dog lover for as long as I can remember. But, until Riley, I had never truly had a dog of my own. While adding a furbaby into our family has definitely been a job, and has not always been easy, I am so thankful that we did it, and I know that God handpicked Riley for us. She has brought us much more joy than frustration, and B and I have bonded in a special way through our shared love for her. Her unconditional love for us (really for him, since he's by far her favorite), has taught me so much about myself, and I can only imagine how much more I am getting ready to learn this summer once Gavin is here.
9. Date Nights with My Husband. Although I am a lover of routines and checklists, the romantic side of me loves to be spontaneous. Whether it is just a conversation, a drink on our deck, or a planned 'date night' where we actually make it out of the house, I know B and I will never get this time alone back, and I always feel like my 'love tank' is refreshed after our time together. It's about to get harder to make time, but I am hoping that we can do our best to make sure it remains a priority.
10. Crisp, Fall Days & Football Sundays. Fall is my favorite season. I love the change that begins to happen in the air, and I love pulling my boots and sweaters out of the closet for the first time in months. But, I think the start of football season is my favorite thing about the fall. Once it begins, our Sundays are always full. Changing out of church clothes by 12PM and into our favorite team attire. Party snacks, cold drinks, rivalries and my green and white Jets. Mmm, I can almost taste it!
11. Motherhood. Because there is always room for one more. I think one of the biggest things I live for is becoming a Mom. It has been a dream of mine since I was about twelve years old, and I cannot believe that the day is almost here, and my dreams are about to come true.